Schedule Your Free Consultation:




You've been to court. You won your case. Now what? When you "win" a civil case in court, the jury or judge may award you monetary damages. However, in some situations the losing party against whom there is a judgment (also known as a debtor), either refuses to follow the court order or cannot afford to pay the amount of the judgment. If this happens, you may be required to take additional steps and incur further expenses to collect the judgment. This is where McShane & Brady Law can help.

McShane & Brady give you the personal attention you deserve, working passionately and courageously on your behalf providing the high quality, expert legal advice necessary to collect your judgement. To keep you better informed, listed below are 10 things to keep in mind when attempting to collect money following your judgement.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed or misinformed, contact us at 816-888-8010 for a free consultation.

Here are 10 things to keep in mind when collecting money after a judgment:

1. Individuals and businesses that are financially stable usually pay judgments that are entered against them. They do so because they want to avoid unpleasant "collection" activities and further costs.

2. If an individual or business debtor stubbornly refuses to pay a judgment or is insolvent (meaning business or person's debts are greater than its assets), you may find it quite difficult to collect a judgment.

3. In most states, you can conduct post-judgment discovery (interrogatories, requests for production of documents, depositions, etc.) to uncover a debtor's sources of income and assets.

4. When you hold a judgment against an individual, you can garnish his or her wages to collect your judgment. Many states limit the amount you can garnish from a debtor's wages to 25% of the debtor's paycheck. To garnish wages, you generally must schedule a hearing with the court and prove that the debtor owes you money and has failed to make payments.

5. Similarly, you may also garnish the bank account of an individual or business debtor.

6. If you hold a judgment against a company, you may be able to get the sheriff to seize the money in the company's cash register. Businesses may also have machinery, equipment, or other assets that are available to seize. For your safety, and to avoid further litigation, only law enforcement or other authorized persons should seize property.

7. The time period for collecting judgments in many states is 10 years, but after that expires you can usually renew the judgment for another 10 years. So, even if the person or business that you have a judgment against does not have any income or assets today, income or assets may be accessible in the future.

8. Unfortunately, if the person against whom you have the judgment files a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, your ability to collect is cut-off, like most other creditors.

9. In most states, you will need to retain an attorney to assist you with your collection efforts. You can typically hire a collection attorney on an hourly basis or pay the attorney a percentage of the amount collected.

10. To collect a judgment against a debtor or a debtor's property located in another state, you will need to record your judgment as a foreign judgment in that state. A court cannot enforce a foreign judgment unless the debtor has "sufficient contact" with the state. Usually, you will want to file the foreign judgment in the county where the debtor lives or where the property is located.

For help understanding your legal rights and starting collection procedures for your judgment, call McShane & Brady Law at 816-888-8010.

- See more at:

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • The Missouri Bar
  • Best of the bar
  • Super Lawyers Lucy Mcshane
  • Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansan City
  • Super Lawyers Maureen Brady
  • Avvo
  • Mata

Want To Learn If You Have A Case?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response

Helping Clients Throughout The Kansas City Metro Area

McShane & Brady, LLC
1656 Washington St
Suite 120
Kansas City, MO 64108

Phone: 816-569-9772
Fax: 816-332-6295
Map & Directions